Americans Begin to Receive Second Round of COVID-19 Stimulus Checks
Dec 30, 2020
Tuesday afternoon, U.S Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin took to social media announcing the disbursement timeline for the second round of stimulus checks. He noted the following:
- Direct Deposit – Individuals who have direct deposit set up with the IRS can start looking for their second stimulus payments as early as last evening (12/29) and continue into next week.
- Paper Checks – The IRS will begin sending out paper checks today, Wednesday (12/30/20), which means people should begin receiving those checks within the next two weeks.*
- Status of Payment – Mnuchin also stated later this week, you can check the status of your payment here
*To speed up delivery, a limited number of people will receive their second stimulus payment by debit card. But the form of payment for your second stimulus check may be different than your first payment. Some people who received a paper check last time might receive a debit card this time, and some people who received a debit card last time could receive a paper check. The pre-paid cards will come in white envelopes that “prominently displays the U.S. Department of the Treasury seal,” the IRS said. The card will bear the Visa name on the front and the name of the issuing bank, MetaBank, will be on the card’s back. The information included with the card will explain that this is your Economic Impact Payment. There’s more information on the pre-paid cards here.
While Congress remains in discussion about an increase to a $2,000 stimulus amount, what we know for now is:
- As it currently stands, the checks will be for $600 for eligible adults, and $600 per dependent, meaning a family of four could receive $2,400.
- Individuals who earned less than $75,000 and those married filing jointly who earned less than $150,000 in 2019 are eligible for the full amount.
- Those who made more are eligible for reduced stimulus checks at a rate of $5 per $100 of additional income.
- The checks phase out completely for individuals that earned $87,000 and couples that made $174,000 in 2019.
If you have questions regarding your stimulus check, please contact your William Vaughan Company advisor or contact us at 419.891.1040. We’d be happy to help!